Monday, April 16, 2007

How do Buyers choose a real estate agent?

April 16, 2007

If you are a reader of the various syndicated real estate columnists, you may have noticed that they rather frequently address the question "How do I select a real estate agent?" Almost all of the time, their answers are directed towards sellers finding an agent to market their property. Rarely do the answers address how a buyer might select a real estate agent.

I did some reflecting on the source of my buyers. In the course of my 31 years as a agent, I have been fortunate to have a high percentage of my buyers come from being acquaintances or from referrals from acquaintances. These folks already knew something about me and chose to work with me from this prior knowledge. However, the next highest percentage came from call-ins, walk-ins or visitors to open houses. It is no surprise that brokers and real estate trainers spend a good deal of time teaching agents how to build a relationship with strangers. From an agent's side, finding the prospect's needs and working to fulfill those needs and desires is how agents develop a clientele.

But how does a buyer decide to make an appointment, return a phone call or commit to a particular agent? Do they use the interview 3 agents rule that sellers are advised to do? Probably not. I would guess it is much more subjective. After meeting an agent, a buyer may or may not relate to that individual. Also, I do believe that buyers are a bit concerned that a really successful agent will pressure them into buying before they are ready. It is almost as if buyers do not want to choose and agent.

Buyers who are ready to purchase walk into a real estate office or call the office and make an appointment with the agent who is "up" for that day. That agent, if professional and well trained, then becomes the buyer's agent. This process has worked for the past 31 years that I have been an agent. In all probability, it will continue to work. If potential buyers are reading this blog, could you share with me how you chose or would like to choose your real estate agent?
Just click on "comments" and type in your answers or questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home