Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Planting Season

May 9, 2007

I was conversing this morning with a group of people who were commenting on trees. One person loves palms, another California oaks, another the London Planes, another Jacaranda. And so it goes. We probably all have our favorite trees. I know when we bought a new home, I planted 2 5' high Citradora Eucalyptus and told everyone they would hold my hammock someday. And sure enough, within 5 years, I lay in my hammock, smelling the fragrance of the Citradora.

When choosing trees for your yard, it is important to know how big you want the trees to become and how fast do you want them to grow. Smaller ornamental trees generally grow to 15 to 25 feet. Some trees will grow up to 40 feet tall. Some trees are beautiful, but messy. When choosing yard trees, you need to know what the trees will be like in 15, 20 or 30 years.

I am sure that you can find information on trees at the local growers and in library books. There are so many trees that do well in our Southern California climate. We can chose flowering trees, fruiting trees, evergreen trees, deciduous trees, palm trees and many varieties of each of these categories.

And trees are environmentally friendly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home