Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"Recycling That Helps the Planet and You"

May 13, 2008

I have just received a book of great ideas. It comes from Yankee Magazine and is entitled Panty Hose, Hot Peppers, Tea Bags, and more - for the Garden. The sub title is 1001 Ingenious Ways to Use Common Household Items...

As a person who has never had a green thumb, I am reading the suggestions with hope of being able to successfully grow to maturity and beauty those plants I buy.

The ideas are short and uncomplicated. From time to time as I read further, I will share some.

"Pasta-billities"

The next time you boil some pasta or potatoes, let the water cool and then use it to feed your favorite plants. It contains small amounts of starch, organic matter and other nutrients that plants like. (Also you are not throwing away that precious commodity, WATER.)

"Go Bananas"

After digging a planting hole, make it a rule of thumb to check your fridge or fruit bowl for overripe bananas, badly bruised apples, shriveled grapes, bagged lettuce that has gone slimy or other inedible fruits or vegetables. Toss them all into the hole and say good riddance - and good luck. (I don't know about most folks, but I do seems to accumulate all of this stuff.)

Enough for now, but more another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home