Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Reminders That We Live in Earthquake Country

January 14, 2009

Last weeks little shakes served to remind me that I need to check out my earthquake preparedness. Over time, I tend to use up my canned foods and bottled water supplies. And frankly, I have not yet purchased a survival kit. I did notice that 2 person and 4 person back packs were available at Home Depot. I'm thinking that it might be wise to have one of these kits available should the need arise.

The San Bernardino Sun newspaper this morning offered the following tips:

Conduct a "hunt hazard" to look for things like your TV, computer, bookcases, furniture, unstrapped water heaters and any other items that could go fling across the room in a major shake.

Make a plan that includes how you will evacuate your home, how you will reunite with other family members, who could you call out of state, where are you going to store the emergency supplies, etc.

You might even want to have a contractor check your building for structural weaknesses such as masonry facades, chimneys or patio covers that might come tumbling down.

Locate where you could "drop, cover and hold on". Sturdy tables and desks are possible locations
for protection from falling objects.

None of these steps will impede are your daily living, but should that earthquake occur, you will be very happy that you made these preparations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home