Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Conserve Your Porcelain Throne

November 19, 2008

An op-ed piece in this morning's Los Angeles Times caught my eye. It was entitle "Loo and Behold" and was written by Margaret Wertheim, a science writer who has consulted for WaterAID America on public outreach. I quote from the opening paragraphs:

"Today is World Toilet Day. You might chuckle or blush, but its worth taking a moment to acknowledge what the humble loo has done for us.

Though the word "Toilet" is often considered declasse and even rude to utter aloud, much of modern life would not be possible without the commode. Ask yourself this: If you had to live without toilets or electricity, which would you choose?"
"The average person goes to the toilet between six and eight times a day. Of the 60 gallons of water Americans use per person per day indoors, 27% (18.5 gallons) goes to flushing - more than on showering or laundry or any other single activity says the American Water Works Association."

As populations have grown, so has the importance of good public sanitation systems. The ramifications of poor sanitation are awesome. If you have attended an outdoor event that has the "Porta-Potty" available, you know how unpleasant it can be on a hot day. I know when I had my store in downtown Redlands, it was a popular spot for spectators attending the Redlands Bicycle Classic because I allowed folks to use my restroom.

As 21st century Americans, we generally take our indoor plumbing for granted. Today was set aside to be grateful for what we have and to recognize that there are millions of folks today who do not have "basic Sanitation". The United Nations estimates that every $1 spent on sanitation saves at least $9 in accumulated health costs, lost productivity and delayed economic development.

I truly believe that I would choose to be without electricity than to be without my porcelain throne.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home