Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Murals Are Springing Up in Redlands

February 9, 2010


If you drive into Redlands on Sixth street and cross Redlands Boulevard going south you can park and take a walking tour. If you like wall art (murals), in a two block area from Redlands Boulevard to Vine street you can see 11 incredible murals. How the artists do it, is a mystery to me, but Larry Dierdorf, Jeff Owens, and Christine Curry have created some outstanding works of art.


If you are really interested, you can find other examples in Redlands. I was amazed when I was in the check out line at Trader Joe's on Orange street to see on the north wall, above the two buck Chuck, a mural of scenes of Redlands that ran the entire length of the wall. The checker indicated that it was painted by one of the employees working in his garage.

There is a totally trompe d'oeil mural on the State street side of Redlands Paint. Every time I see it, I really believe that someone is on a ladder. It takes a moment for me to realize that I am looking at a spectacular piece of wall art!

A few years ago on a trip to Vancouver Island in Canada, we happened upon a town that was having a "Festival of Murals". How about copying the idea?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home