Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What's a House Worth?

February 23, 2011

This morning I read an editorial that was deploring the state of the economy. Something editorial writers seem to enjoy doing. In this editorial the writer wrote something to the effect that our houses are "worthless". I happen to hold stock in some companies that has become "worthless", because the company has gone bankrupt or otherwise become devalued. I purchased the stock because of my perception that it would increase in value, but until it did that, it was really just a piece of paper sitting in an investment portfolio. No other benefits were derived from my ownership.

A house, on the other hand, performs one of the basic human needs - that of the need for shelter. It provides a roof over my head, a place to develop my own lifestyle and a place on the planet where I can be located. These are attributes of a house that have value even though the house has lost "investment" value.

Think about it. Whether you own or whether you rent, a house is where you live your life. It is worth what it can contribute to your comfort and to your sense of place. Enjoy these attributes. Over time the monetary value may recover, but please do not call having a roof over your head "worthless".

1 Comments:

Anonymous omaha houses for sale said...

Everyone needs house for leave. House is a common need for everyone. The house provide a roof on your head. You must decided the price of your house.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home