Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Earthquake Preparedness (cont)

June 20, 2007



What supplies would you want on hand should a major earthquake occur? The literature on earthquakes suggests that people should be prepared to be self sufficient for at least 3 days. That is, 3 days with out utilities and public services. I mentioned yesterday that I had a water source with my pool and propane tanks with my barbeque. I keep a supply of canned soups and other canned foods. I have food in my freezer, but should the electricity fail, I will need to use it before it spoils.


But what other supplies will I want?


Commercial survival kits are available. They usually are packed in backpacks and can possibly be purchased at sporting goods stores. At one time one of the insurance companies offered them to their clients. They can also be purchased on the web. Suppliers can be found by searching "Earthquake Survivor Kits" on Google. They are not inexpensive.


You can also put together your own box or bag of emergency supplies. The following are some of the items I would include:

Rubber or heavy duty garden gloves with leather palms.

Painters' dust masks

Spare eyeglasses or contact lenses

Whistle

Bottled water, at least one case

Battery powered radio

Sturdy shoes

Contact phone numbers

Non battery flashlight or lightsticks

Gauze bandages and a roll of gauze

Personal hygene supplies - tooth brush, toothpaste, comp, hair brush, etc

Soap

Plastic bags - both large and trash size

Manual can opener

Extra clothing, poncho,

Copies of vital documents

Emergency cash



It would also be a good idea to have a box of the above in the trunk of the car.
In the house, they need to be in as non vulnerable a space as can be found.


Sounds pretty awesome, doesn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home