Thursday, September 02, 2010

National Preparedness Month

September 2, 2010
September has been designated "National Preparedness Month" by the Ready Campaign in partnership with the Citizen Corps and the Advertising Council. The purpose of focusing attention on disaster preparedness is the raise folk's consciousness about being prepared to survive a disaster.

The east coast communities need to be prepared for hurricanes and floods. Mid America needs to be prepared for tornadoes and floods. Here on the west coast, we need to be prepared for wildfires and earthquakes.

Are you prepared?

As I though about posting a blog on earthquake preparedness, I realized that I would really not like to be forced to survive on the food stored in my pantry. Soups, crackers, canned vegetables,

canned meats have "use by" dates that have long expired. I realized that it is time to clean and sort and replenish.

My rubber gloves that had been part of my preparedness kit have been used for other tasks. I don't have a set of clothes and heavy duty shoes set aside. I have become sloppy about items that could fly through the air in the event of a major quake.

Folks living in high fire danger areas need to make sure the dry brush around their properties has been cut back. Packing a suitcase for "just-in-case" an evacuation is necessary is a good idea.

You can "google" disaster preparedness and discover some helpful sites for getting yourself prepared. also http://www.fema.gov/ offers checklists to aid folks in both awareness and preparedness.

Remember, September is Disaster Preparedness Month. This is a great annual reminder to examine your personal preparedness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home