Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Garden Fountains and Algae

October 25, 2011


I believe that a while back I mentioned putting copper pennies in your garden fountain. I had a new fountain installed last March and I have my own fun of tosses into the fountain any bright copper penny I receive. They are really shiny and bright for a week or so. Eventually they do turn brownish or greenish. I just keep tossing new ones and the copper glint is really lovely.


However, the best part of my penny tossing is that they do seem to keep algae from growing. The previous fountain that I repaced had gotten really filled with slimy threads of algae. While the algae is green and not totally unattractive, it certainly was not the look that I wanted.


So, when I came across the page in Jerry Baker's book "Cleaning Magic" I was intrigued about the possibility that plain, old copper pennies could keep the water in my fountain clean. Well, the fountain has been there over six months and thus far not a trace of algae! The water remains clear and I am thrilled to toss those bright and shiny copper pennies into the fountain.


I do not know if the pennies will get rid of already existing algae, but they have been a satisfactory control in my new fountain.


If you try it, let me know if it works for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home